I was born in Buffalo, NY, but moved to Florida at a young age so I'm technically a "Florida Cracker." I grew up in Sarasota (go Pine View Pythons!), went to college in Gainesville (go Gators!), and settled into the Port Charlotte area about 20 years ago (what do we cheer for here anyway?).
When my dreams of becoming a Calvin Klien underwear model fell through (I know...look at me! How could they turn me down?) I fell back on the only thing I've ever been any good at - radio broadcasting (how sad is that??). I joined KIX Country 19 years ago and I've seen a lot of things change in that time. The community around me has changed a lot, and the radio business has changed more than I ever thought possible.
Many locals remember I used to have a radio partner, Bob Alexander. Sadly the shrinking economy forced many businesses, including ours, to downsize and now I'm flying solo. That's one of the changes I could really have done without, honestly. I'm probably not supposed to even say that - but I've always been an open book on the radio and I'm too old and stubborn to stop now. Besides, the boss never reads these things anyway. Really! Watch me thumb my nose at the establishment: hey boss - I've been stealing used coffee filters for years! Wow...getting that off my chest was a thrill.
One of the more positive changes in the radio business has been the opportunity for a little town "deejay" to broadcast to a much larger audience, now that we're "nationwide" on I Heart Radio. Be sure to download the app for your smart-phone or tablet today (Sorry, they make me say that). But it's always a blast to hear from people listening in other parts of the country. Even if most of the time they're contacting me just to let me know how stupid my latest opinion was.
Nowadays I call Deep Creek in Charlotte County home, along with my incredible wife Stephane and our baby-boy (of the furry variety) Tooie - an eight pound Pomeranian.
All in all it's been a crazy ride over the last couple of decades - anyone here during Hurricane Charlie can attest to that! I'm hoping that I'll be able to celebrate my 20th anniversary with this station (in November of 2013), but that largely will depend on the local economy. If things get bettter - I'll still be here, so please go out and buy all the new cars, furniture and mattresses you can afford! The more YOU spend, the more likely there will be a need for me to stay put. So, by all means, run up a butt-load of debt and let's make this thing happen!
Seriously, thank you for a long and rewarding gig so far. And by rewarding I mean mentally, emotionally and even spiritually - but certainly NOT financially. Not a complaint, just a clarification!
Good Morning Kix Country
Here is today's viral video of the day which you heard me talking about on the air... This baby was forced to get a tattoo by the mother which you can see below.....
Hilarious, “must see” parenting photo of the day! A teenager who broke curfew was sentenced (by dad) to a week’s worth of wearing this tee shirt – with dad “mean muggin’” the whole school. Don’t know how much it cost the guy to have the t-shirt made up, but the lesson itself is priceless!
Only time to do the top 5 or 10 on the air, but I wanted everyone to have access to ALL the responses! The Daily Mail surveyed their female readers and asked a very open-ended (and dangerous!!) question:
“What Do YOU Want?”
The results are as follows. And it turns out what women want is actually pretty reasonable and doable…right guys? Right??
1. A partner giving you a spontaneous cuddle
2. Comfortable underwear
3. Someone telling you they think you’ve lost weight
4. Buying a present for someone which they’re obviously pleased to receive
5. Wearing sexy underwear
6. Finding a bargain
7. Receiving flowers
8. Being bought a present
9. Someone telling you you look younger than you are
10. A stranger complementing you on your style
11. Tucking into a bar of chocolate
12. Being asked where you bought something
13. Catching up with old friends
14. Fitting into an outfit you thought was too small
15. Reading a brilliant book
16. Having clean teeth
17. Having a meal cooked for you
19. Someone noticing you’ve had your hair done
20. A proper hug from your son/daughter
21. Getting dressed up for a night out
22. A sale in your favorite shop
23. Being told your children are well behaved or clever
24. A bubble bath
25. Buying a new bottle of perfume
26. Going out for lunch with friends
27. Winning a debate
28. Getting praise from the boss
29. A child thanking you for having them to tea
30. A spa day
31. Exercising / playing sport
32. Showing off a new handbag
33. The DJ playing your favorite song on a night out
34. Watching a box set
35. Your children doing well at school / sport
36. Taking heels off at the end of the night
37. Recycling clothes
38. Eating cheese
39. Doing a great job at work
40. Going on a first date
41. Have a good chat with friends
42. Watching soap operas
43. Sharing a bottle of wine with friends
44. Buying new make up
45. Having a manicure
46. Shapewear which makes your figure look amazing
47. Singing along to the radio in your car
48. Picking up a new skill / hobby
49. Cleavage enhancing bras
50. ?????? Ladies, what’s missing here?
I would like to share a few more videos with you which feature local songwriter Jack Michael of the four piece "Drive 31". These two videos are composed of original ballads that Jack wrote and performed at this past weekend's 2013 Chili Fest at Laishley Park which was held by Smugglers Events Management.
I will be sharing videos of the David Gerald Blues Band on tomorrows blog and the following day with video of the awards ceremony going live on my blog on Friday morning. I hope you enjoy checking out some of the great talent composed in the videos.....