I was born in Buffalo, NY, but moved to Florida at a young age so I'm technically a "Florida Cracker." I grew up in Sarasota (go Pine View Pythons!), went to college in Gainesville (go Gators!), and settled into the Port Charlotte area about 20 years ago (what do we cheer for here anyway?).
When my dreams of becoming a Calvin Klien underwear model fell through (I know...look at me! How could they turn me down?) I fell back on the only thing I've ever been any good at - radio broadcasting (how sad is that??). I joined KIX Country 19 years ago and I've seen a lot of things change in that time. The community around me has changed a lot, and the radio business has changed more than I ever thought possible.
Many locals remember I used to have a radio partner, Bob Alexander. Sadly the shrinking economy forced many businesses, including ours, to downsize and now I'm flying solo. That's one of the changes I could really have done without, honestly. I'm probably not supposed to even say that - but I've always been an open book on the radio and I'm too old and stubborn to stop now. Besides, the boss never reads these things anyway. Really! Watch me thumb my nose at the establishment: hey boss - I've been stealing used coffee filters for years! Wow...getting that off my chest was a thrill.
One of the more positive changes in the radio business has been the opportunity for a little town "deejay" to broadcast to a much larger audience, now that we're "nationwide" on I Heart Radio. Be sure to download the app for your smart-phone or tablet today (Sorry, they make me say that). But it's always a blast to hear from people listening in other parts of the country. Even if most of the time they're contacting me just to let me know how stupid my latest opinion was.
Nowadays I call Deep Creek in Charlotte County home, along with my incredible wife Stephane and our baby-boy (of the furry variety) Tooie - an eight pound Pomeranian.
All in all it's been a crazy ride over the last couple of decades - anyone here during Hurricane Charlie can attest to that! I'm hoping that I'll be able to celebrate my 20th anniversary with this station (in November of 2013), but that largely will depend on the local economy. If things get bettter - I'll still be here, so please go out and buy all the new cars, furniture and mattresses you can afford! The more YOU spend, the more likely there will be a need for me to stay put. So, by all means, run up a butt-load of debt and let's make this thing happen!
Seriously, thank you for a long and rewarding gig so far. And by rewarding I mean mentally, emotionally and even spiritually - but certainly NOT financially. Not a complaint, just a clarification!
Oh brother, have I created a monster! My wife's becoming more of a "car girl" which makes me happy - but we're trying to decide on a new(er) car and she's really taking it seriously!
I sold her on the idea that a modern Pony Car would be a nice compomise between luxury, good looks, economy and sportiness. That was the easy part! We drove a 2012 Mustang from Harbor Nissan's Auto Marketplace and are now driving a 2013 Camaro from their lot.
My wife's not so good at making easy decisions...and this one's hard! Check out the pros and cons, and let us know what your vote would be in the Poll Of The Day below...
Pony Possibility #1...2012 Mustang. Pros: very eye catching and stylish, great sound system (for listening to KIX Country 92.9!!), unique "retro" styling, sporty handling. Cons: backseat is very cramped, could use a few more horses (get it?), not either one of our favorite colors.
Pony Possibility #2...2013 Camaro. Pros: Only 2,400 miles - this is a brand new car for thousands less than a new one, 323 horsepower out of a V-6, roomier interior, it's RED! Cons: not as "retro" as I had hoped, (wife) would prefer leather, almost TOO showy...naaaah.
Soooo, based on the little info I've shared so far, which would you choose! Here's the Poll Of The Day:
Did you hear yesterday's survey results? It was the "Things Women Hate Most About Their Marriages?" My wife did and later in the day she handed me HER list, insisting I share it with you in the interest of fairness. I'm a fair-minded guy, and I believe in full disclosure radio, so I agreed. I may not be a perfect husband - but I have nothing to hide! So Steph...my love...here's your list, UNALTERED from the original you handed me yesterday. Really. Seriously. I didn't change a word - and I don't know why anyone would ever suspect that I would! Now...let the criticism begin:
1. Todd makes me laugh...all the time. Who needs aching stomach muscles 24/7?
2. He buys me TOO many surprise gifts. I need a warehouse sized jewelry box for the diamond tennis bracelets alone!!
3. He's always with the "I love you so much" stuff. Sheesh! Get some new material dude!
4. He tells me at least 312 times a day how great I look (my hair, my clothes, my lingerie, etc.). Even when I'm in my dirty sweats and fuzzy slippers.
5. He encourages me to "enjoy whatever tastes good, and eat as much as you want" when I gain weight, adding "I love you for who you are on the INSIDE as much as what you look like on the outside!"
6. All that cuddling and snuggling. BORING! You know, sometimes a backrub means MORE than a backrub. Take the hint mister!!
7. He's always leaving me little love notes on the bathroom mirror, the refrigerator, even stuffed in my shoes. What are we, 15?
8. He wants to talk about his feelings...a lot. Can we just shut up and watch an action film now and then?
9. He doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs, curse or gamble. And strip clubs? Ha! Never! It's like living with a robot. Develop a vice dude!
10. He's very critical of my housework. He never actually says so, but he must not think I can do anything right because he does it all! Cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.
...Okay, so I tweaked it a little. Give me credit though, at least I left off the "hot monkey lovin'" one!
Did you hear about the new flavor of Cheetos? Maybe you were hoping for a white cheddar, or maybe a barbecue flavor, but Pepsi flavored Cheetos? Apparently, they are the big new thing in Japan! They are said to actually fizz in your mouth as you eat them. Are they ready for the good ole U.S.A? Click the bag to find out more....
The cutest "Vacuuming a baby duck video you'll see all day...I promise!